Sunday 23 March 2008

Forum - Semester 3 - Week 3

This week's session was dedicated to presentation by few 2nd and 3rd year students, me, Jacob, David and Edward.
My personal impression was that some of the works we have/opt to do outside the regular educational curriculum, is unconsciously too sophisticated. In other words, many of us students' final results can be achieved through processes simpler than what we normally go through.
I presented my last semester's project in Earpoke, in which I had fused a female vocal line and noise-based rhythms. I could have done a better job simply by using 2 or 3 softwares and byebye! However, the other side of these experiments and exercises is that in the way of coming up with these fantastic! sonic works, we are urged to overcome several problems which consequently
help us be more "creative".I hope 1st year students are not freaked-out! some works (particularly David's) were way advanced-looking and a bit scary at the first look!

3 comments:

John said...

QUOTE: "My personal impression was that some of the works we have/opt to do outside the regular educational curriculum, is unconsciously too sophisticated. In other words, many of us students' final results can be achieved through processes simpler than what we normally go through."

I raised this notion a few times on my blog last year, and agree completely - why work harder at something to achieve a similar end result? Given that the processes are an area that can be objectively understood and assessed academically, I assume this is why the focus is put on that.

In a compositional scenario, if I already have an idea in mind, I personally find it quicker to flesh out that idea via sampling, VIs and multi-tracking. Some scenarios may call for use of a customised Max patch for example, however I found that the user can very quickly get caught up in cerebral activity and forget all about the initial musical inspiration. Creating patches or "ground up" synthesis is time consuming and not conducive to the creative process for me personally - unless I'm looking for ideas and don't yet have any. Ironically, such areas lend themselves better to academic pursuits, other wise what would we study them at Uni? I guess we can't yet have our cake and eat it too...

Freddie said...

mmm cake

edward kelly said...

yes, disco not = Max.
interesting mind warping good time, yes = Max.

I'm looking forward to doing the Max craziness on my thought processes, rather than th pre-programmed cultural impulses which manifest as pop.

And then perhaps combine them :)