Saturday 18 October 2008

CC2 - Semester 4 - Week 9

FFT

The basics and the technical characteristics of Fast Fourier Transform "thing" aside, it is a useful tool. This is my main interest.
This week's exercise was to utilise FTT in a device and it was recommended to have a look at the final project.
My final project is kind-of a mixer; hence the interface of this week's patch -and also its function really!-.
This patch which I have called the "Self Manipulator" takes a sample in its buffer, and using groove~ and one of the examples of FFT, provides additional "deformed" soundwaves which accompanying the original sample, sounds good -to me at least-.
As I mentioned, most of my attention was the applications of FFT, rather than what happens within the process. I will probably include this patch somewhere in my final project.
Note: It seems that some of the FFT examples' addresses should be allocated in Max. FFT convolution~ did not work until I manually added its address to the file preferences option. (how do you say it in proper English?)

DOWNLOAD THE PATCH

Cheers.

References:
- Christian Haines 'Creative Computing 2.2' Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 16/10/2008
- Max MSP, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max/MSP) [Accessed 18/10/2008]

No comments: