Tuesday 14 October 2008

CC2 - Semester 4 - Week 8

This week’s exercise was simple; get the Novation ReMOTE SL to control a sampler.
I ended up using 7 controllers: 5 knobs (or pots), 2 buttons and 1 slider.
The interesting challenge was the GUI. The more it goes, the more sophisticated I think about the interfaces I come up with, and of course the more “bugs” I gotta fix!
Nevertheless, MSP still seems easier than Max; it is relatively end of this semester and if MSP was hard, it should have shown itself by now; or maybe I am just taking it super-easy?
Back to the point of GUI, I actually incorporated some funny thing this week. There is a Mute button (see the picture, above the Volume Control) and when it is muted, the box changes to “unmute” and starts blinking; not regular blinking though, it actually changes colours from black to red in a pretty smooth fashion. I liked this part the most to be honest!
This patch and the one I did –I think- in week 6 will be good tools for me and my some-time-I-would-start project of music collage.
Nice!

HERE is the ZIP file of this weeks exercise.

Note: don’t bother with the name of this patch; I thought it was week 9. In fact, it IS week 9, but we are 1 week behind or something I think…

References:
- Christian Haines 'Creative Computing 2.2' Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 09/10/2008
- Max MSP, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max/MSP) [Accessed 11/10/2008]

No comments: