Wednesday 19 September 2007

CC1 - Semester 2 - Week 8

Performance Sequencing

What I did was to create 3 different loops using Propellerheads’ Reason; a drum loop, a bass line loop and a guitar loop. For the guitar loop, I pitch-shifted in a real-time fashion.
After inserting the drum loop into Ableton Live, I warped it and introduced a different loop.
I also added a delay effect to the guitar line and controlled it real-time as well.
In total, my sequence is followed this order:
Original Drum Loop -> Modified Drum Loop -> Bass Loop -> Guitar Loop (with delay amount controlled and varied throughout the tune)-> Bass Loop -> Modified Drum -> Original Drum.
The result can be downloaded here:The interesting part of this week’s exercise for me was that Ableton Live actually makes it much easier to fuse different genres of music. Controlling rhythm and its tempo (as well as its groove) provides the user with lots of options to play around with different riffs and themes and at the same time it makes it possible to precisely and accurately mix these diverse stuff together. The reason I didn’t use my recordings from last semester was that my project didn’t involve drums and I needed rhythm to do this.
I think parts of this exercise of mine sounded like early experimental drum n bass tunes (i.e. early Aphex Twin).
Here is a very useful video of warping in Live. I know noone does but please have a look.

References:
- Christian Haines 'Creative Computing 1.2' Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 12/09/2007
- Ableton Live Users. Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ableton_Live_users) [Accessed 19/09/07]
- Ableton Live. John Hopkings University Digital Media Centre. (http://digitalmedia.jhu.edu/learning/documentation/live) [Accessed 19/09/2007]

No comments: