Thursday 6 September 2007

AA1 - Semester 2 - Week 7

Analogue / Digital synthesis; Juno 6

I experimented with a few synthesisers including Roland Juno 6 and Jupiter. For this week, I played with Juno 6 and recorded the result.
Obviously, the result of around one hour of mocking around with the synthesiser gave me a whole lot of different sound patterns. Not many of them, however, would be considered simulations of sounds n the "real" world.
At the end, I merged two parts of my final result; the first one sounds like activities of a volcano (bubbling?) and the second one sounds to me like wind blowing.here is the MP3 containing these two parts:After all, "additive synthesis" (the way through which electronic synthesisers and most of the softwares work) provide many option by which it is possible to create various sounds. In addition to that, the most enjoying part of the additive story for me is that since the processes are to be done step by step, it is easier to keep the track of what is being done throughout the whole way.
Below, is a video of Roland SH3A Synthesiser; it is a short demo and a good example of how additive (..and to me also addictive!) synthesis work:

There is a good lecture on additive synthesis from Princeton University, New Jersey, US. I've put the link in the references.

References:
- Christian Haines 'Audio Arts 1.2' Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 03/09/2007
- Roland Juno6. Vintage Synth Explorer. (http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html) [Accessed 07/09/07]
- Additive Synthesis. Princeton University (http://soundlab.cs.princeton.edu/learning/tutorials/SoundVoice/add1.htm) [Accessed 07/09/2007]

No comments: