Monday 27 August 2007

AA1 - Semester 2 - Week 5

Sound Installation

Like always, my VERY first step in the research journey! Was Wikipedia, and I came across THIS which I strongly recommend everyone to have a look at; however, I ended up analysing someone’s art which was not mentioned in that page, blame it on Youtube.
Lionel Marchetti (as it is mentioned in the first Google search for his name) is “…a composer of musique concrète. First self-taught, he discovered the catalogue of Musique Concrète with Xavier Garcia. He has composed in the CFMI of Lyon 2 University between 1989 and 2002, where he still organizes workshops focused on the loudspeaker, the recorded sound and Musique Concrète, both on practical and theoretical levels. He has built his own recording studio, and composes also in the Groupe de Recherches Musicales (GRM) in Paris since 1993...
I analysed one of his sound installation projects which I found on Youtube; you can check it out below:

Use of music technology:
Apparently Marchetti is famous for his works on and with loudspeakers. This particular video is showing the application of his idea of transforming the electrical energy to the kinetic energy of a loudspeaker and again delivering that to some stones and finalising the act with the natural sounds of the stones.

Sound Mediums:
According to my understanding, the main mediums through which Marchetti is sending the sound(s) are stones and soil. The video is not very clear but I think there is something going on with the plants and their leaves as well; nevertheless, the main sound-makers are stones, which are collaborating with loudspeakers!

Type of artist:
Apparently Marchetti is known the best as a “Concrète Musician” (I just came up with this word; I hope it exists in the glossary of music technology.) but the work I have analysed –to me-is an example of sound installation. Many other installations that I watched, however, had mainly used sound and light. Yet, this work could be categorised the same. Marchetti is also a poet.

References:
- Christian Haines 'Audio Arts 1.2' Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 20/08/2007
- Lionel Marchetti, Wikipedia (translated by Google from French to English) [Accessed 26/08/2007]
- Lionel Marchetti, ElectroCD [Accessed 26/08/2007]

No comments: