Wednesday 28 March 2007

Week 4 - Forum

This week's forum session of ours was presentations with the topic of "Collaboration".
The first one, David Dowling talked about the collaboration between Metallica and the San Fransisco Symphonic Orchestra. The project (according to David) was the idea of Michael Kaman, who had worked with Metallica before in their 1991 album. To fuse the thrash-metal music of Metallica and classical music of that orchestra has not been done many times yet. And this particular one has been a significant one in the past decade. Personally I liked this presentation the best. Although I did not agree with all David said, the way he expressed his opinions or rather got us acquainted with different aspects of that project was really good.
Vinny Bhagat talked about an Indian musician called Trilok Gurtu who is a percussionist in the first place, and he has done many different collaborations with western musicians. I didn't know anything about this particular individual or his music but during the session I realised that he has come up with many stuff which would really help me to broaden my views and understanding of music generally. Vinny played a number of Trilok's tunes which were definitely good examples of ways musicians could collaborate with each other and come up with a new result.
William Revill talked about how music could possibly collaborate with other sorts of art in general. He was focused on the role of music in computer games and he went through few details in order to briefly clarify the issue for us. Unfortunately (I think because of the limitations that the session's time had) I couldn't get enough information as much as I needed but it was the first day of presentations and none of us completely knew what was supposed to go on.
After that it was me! I really did a very very bad presentation which led to a complete chaos. I couldn't express my point (which was about the collaborations so-called "world music") and my plan to involve other students in a discussion totally failed. Some individuals were disappointed and called my job "pointless". I agree with them but that was the best I could do.
I have put the writing I had for my presentation here. This writing is more related to my actual point compared to what happened during the session.

No comments: