Tuesday 9 September 2008

CC2 - Semester 4 - Week 6

Wave player basic

Using objects such as groove~ and wave~, I built a patch for playing up to 16 sound (being files such as .wav, .aif, etc –and not MP3-).

The sweetest part for me –of course- was to manipulate the samples’ playback using a –relatively- simple trick of a slider.

The other interesting issue was when I chose to use another slider to determine the starting and ending points of the loop with just dragging the mouse on the slider.

I still am not sure if it is the best way for a poly~ patch to pop-up different windows and work with each separately. I assume as long as the number of sounds –or parts in any poly~- is reasonably low (say less than 20) it would not get messy; however, although even with big numbers (imagine the poly~ patch deals with 200 windows) can run smoothly, I think there would be a need of two or three monitors to see what is going on.

Overall, the more MSP goes forward, the easier and the more time-consuming it becomes; ain’t it?[1]


Download: http://www.box.net/shared/0593ce74m6

References:
- Christian Haines 'Creative Computing 2.2' Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 04/09/2008
- Max MSP, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max/MSP) [Accessed 5/9/2008]

[1] I just watched this fantastic film called Daytime Robbery and “ain’t it” is stuck in my mind; I had to use it, sorry…

No comments: