Monday 1 September 2008

CC2 - Semester 4 - Week 5

FM Synthesis

For this week, I undertook another approach to designing my device;
Since -like other exercises- one criteria was to have the "poly~" option embedded in the patch, and also as a result of each individual voice needing separate modifications, I chose to come up with a "multiple-parts" patch. The patch would initially ask the user for some basic settings (i.e. MIDI input, number of voices, etc..) and the user would specify the particular characteristics of each voice afterwards.
Yet again, my biggest issue was the incompatibility of MAX withing the contexts of OSX and PC. This software is simply NOT CROSS-PLATFORM. Nevertheless, like most of the other times, I opt to finalise my patch in OSX.
This patch will provide the user with the option to have the frequency, the modulation rate and the modulation depth canging over time; with the use of envelopes.

References:
- Christian Haines 'Creative Computing 2.2' Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 28/08/2008
- Max MSP, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max/MSP) [Accessed 31/8/2008]

No comments: