Wednesday 27 August 2008

CC2 - Semester 4 - Week 4

Ring Modulation / Amplitude Modulation.

Having worked with a number of electronic music softwares, I did not have much difficulty to actually "understand" the concepts of Ring Modulation (RM) and amplitude Modulation (AM). On the other hand, I personally think after the use of "Low Pass Filter" -with a reasonable amount of resonance-, RM and AM are the most widely used synthesis in these days' electronic music.
Coming up with the patch however, was not that easy at the beginning. I was never exposed to actually "calculate" the amount of RM and AM I was using; if it sounds good, it is good. Nevertheless, the insight of the whole procedure was pretty interesting.The most annoying thing in working with Max/MSP -at least for me- so far is when I use a shortcut (usually the space bar) to turn the device on and off... Not to make a confusion when there actually is a "mute" button provided, is a hard task; or probably a hard task for someone like me.
The stuff we have to make are becoming fancier, there might in fact be a possibility of getting some sort of a job with one of these Audio Technology companies (I'd love to work with Propellerhead!)


References:
- Christian Haines 'Creative Computing 2.2' Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 21/08/2008
- Max MSP, Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max/MSP) [Accessed 26/8/2008]

No comments: