Tuesday 8 May 2007

Week 8 - CC1

Our task this week was to continue “Sampling”; The same principals of previous week applied and in addition we tested the software “Soundhack”
For the first sample, I used Soundhack applying changes to the sample 1 of last week. I changed the duration scale of the file by a ratio of 6 and came up with a new sample.
Again utilising the device NN19 in Reason, I mapped this sample from octaves -2 to octave 0 of the sampler key map.

For the second sample, I used “Phase Vocoder” effect again and changed the Window type from “Hamming” to “Rectangle”.
It’s notable that many of the characteristics of the file –including file format- could be varied using Soundhack. (As shown in the picture)I mapped this sample to the key range between C#0 to C1.
Third sample is the result of applying “Spectral Rate Extractor” effect on the 3rd sample of the previous week. Having changed he Transients and the Stable Sounds of the file, I got to this result.
I mapped this sample from C#1 to C2.Fourth sample uses Phase Vocoder again having different duration scales. I applied this effect on sample 4 of the previous week’s exercise.
Prior to having this sample mapped to a key zone in Reason, I changed the looping region of my file using Peak. I nudged the loop Backwards to see the effect; it is clearly recognisable in Reason after being mapped.I mapped it from C#2 to C3.
For the fifth sample, I picked the 5th sample of the last week, applied Phase Vocoder to it, then applied Spectral Rate Extractor” to the result and finally came up with my new sample.
I mapped this sample from C#3 to C5.Using the same principals of last week, I recorded my final tune, - in Reason- using my new samples, applying delay effect, varying the amount of attack and release of my tones and playing with panning, filter, pitch bend and modulation controllers.This is my final result. click HERE.

References:
- "Soundhack" software official website (Accessed [08.05.2007]), (http://www.soundhack.com/)
- Christian Haines 'Creative Computing I' Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 03/05/2007.
- McLean, Steve: ‘Berklee Shares, an overview of mixing; propellerhead Reason and cakewalk sonar’, Berklee Shares (Accessed [29.04.2007]), (http://www.berkleeshares.com/production__technology/mixing_reason_sonar)

1 comment:

edward kelly said...

oh yes, go the pitch modulation.
I like the way you can almost recognise the sample. At least that it is a voice.