Wednesday 4 April 2007

Week 5 - CC1

This week’s exercise was similar to last week’s; to sequence a soundscape.

Like the previous one, I used the “Deformed Paper Samples”..
As shown in figure 1, as a base for the sequence, I used the sample of chafing the paper (deformed) and I constantly panned it to 10
0% left and 100% right (However in many technical software-based terms, to 63 left and 63 right)


Importing two samples of “Pulling the paper..” I made one single panning using the automation for volume control. The sound starts from 100% right and finishes in 100% left. It must be mentioned that as shown in figure 2, just before applying the volume control, I stretched the time of both left and right channels’ samples.


For the next part, I used the sound of rumpling the paper, faded it in, and then applied 2 effects on it. Using RTAS phaser, I gradually increased the amount of LFO and recorded the real-time effect on the sound. Two things must be noted: first, the use of a compressor, to avoid possible (or probable) distortions. It was chained AFTER the phaser effect. Secondly, it’s the process of changing the input and output channels to play and also record the sound REAL-TIME in protools. All are shown in the figure 4. It also is important to notice that the change of the channels is TEMPORARY & they are just for the real-time recording purpose.

I chose a small part of the track “Scratch deformed” and imported it to one mono track panned totally to the right channel. I simply copy-pasted it for several times afterwards. Then used a delay effect and changed the elements of mix, feedback, and the tempo of the delay device.
I applied the same thing to another sample and panned it to 100% left. The only differences were that I chained a WAH effect (as shown in figure 5) and -because of the possible distortions- a compressor. Again it is important to mention that the use of a WAH effect AFTER the delay would result in a fantastic sound (in my opinion) which I tried but I didn’t end up using it.


At the end, this was how my entire project looked like:

Again, like last week, I couldn’t actually use photos of papers to come up with a graphical figure representing the sequence, therefore I used colours.
In this figure, the deeper the colour becomes (for each track), the more its volume. I hope it makes sense.

..And this is the final result (mp3 format):




References:

- Protools Plugins : http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=61&navid=26&mkt=HD
- Fade effect; definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fade_(audio_engineering)
- Delay effect; definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_%28audio_effect%29
- Week 5's Seminar on Creative Computing: (PDF format) Click here

No comments: